2009-05-27

First Steps With Java on Google App Engine

Image representing Google App Engine as depict...Image via CrunchBase
These are my first steps, creating an Java based App with Google App Engine.

Pre-stuff to get it run first:
  1. I sign up for an App Engine account.

  2. Downloaded the App Engine SDK and installed the Eclipse plugin.

  3. Create a new project as described in the Quick Start Reference.

  4. The Quick reference says for deploying (after you have created an application): "Once you have an application ID, just right-click on your project, and select Google > App Engine Settings... from the context menu. Enter your application ID into the Application ID text box. Click OK."

    • I found it quite hard to find the ID until I realized that it is the name itself found in the "Application" column on my apps listing at http://appengine.google.com/. (This is more clear if you just created your app.) So its "peters-cafe" in my case.

  5. Then just hit the turbine button (Deploy App Engine Project) within eclipse, and here we go...
    ...I thought, but got an error: "Unable to upload app: Error posting to URL: http://appengine.google.com/api/appversion/create?app_id=peters-cafe&version=1&
    400 Bad Request
    Invalid runtime or the current user is not authorized to use it."

    --Hmm

  6. I re-checked the developers settings on the app dashboard, but I still was an active developer :-(

  7. Tried wrong credential infos -> PSW doesn't match. So that must be right.

  8. Found it here in Java FAQ: I'm getting "Invalid runtime specified." when I try to upload.
    Acctually I do not have permission to upload a Java app to my account. That's what they say: "To request permission to upload an app which uses the Java runtime, sign up at the following URL: http://appengine.google.com/promo/java_runtime . For now, access will be limited to the first 10,000 to sign up."
    -> sTo request permission to upload an app which uses the Java runtime, sign up at the following URL: http://appengine.google.com/promo/java_runtime . For now, access will be limited to the first 10,000 to sign up.
    -> so nothing to do here, but wait...
In the meantime: Develop Your Application
It is possible, to run the app local, of course, so I will start to develop and test my app locally.
My first steps, developing a Java application with Google App Engine will be reported soon.



Edit Post:

Finally
I got my permission to upload, so here we go: http://peters-cafe.appspot.com/
(Just the default app, currently)


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Keine Kommentare: